YOUth LEADership Conference
14th Annual YOUth LEADership Conference
Participants: Students going into the 7th grade (2017 school year)
Date: June 5-9, 2017
Location: Victoria College Student Center – See the map
Time: 8:00 – 4:00pm
Cost: $ 80.00 per student; all meals are provided
Awards Ceremony: June 9, 2017, 2:00pm, Student Center Building, all parents are invited.
• Five day event – occurs annually in June for incoming 7th grade students
• 20 past participants, who are now in high school or college, return annually as team leaders to assist with imparting skills to younger students! “The YOUth LEADership Conference is truly one of the best things that could have happened to me!” stated one leader.
• The conference gives students an opportunity to develop leadership skills and to acquire characteristics, attributes and attitudes needed for success in the workplace.
• After the 14th year of implementation, over 1000 students have benefited from this program.
“Goals and Dreams,” Character that Counts,” “Servant Leadership,” and “Success that Matters” are recurring themes highlighted each day.
Outstanding activities include science experiments, a rock-wall climb, a team of incredible dogs that demonstrate obedience, a community-service project, and several life-changing presentations by motivational leaders. During the week we strongly stress to the students the need to continue their education and stay in school in order to be successful. We are able to keep participants engaged in meaningful discussions and activities by balancing fun activities, presentations, and projects. Many students have shared how the conference has had a positive impact on their lives (even life-changing)!
According to the student evaluations, one highlight of our conference is a presentation by a man who has no arms, and yet he drives, diapers his baby, and eats with his feet. He presents his philosophy:
“You can do anything that you put your mind to, so never give up!”
This annual event is having a long-term impact on area schools and communities. According to Toastmasters International, today’s young people need youth leadership programs so they can successfully meet the challenges of adulthood and leadership. The YOUth LEADership Conference equips students with the skills necessary to become leaders in school, business, industry and the community.
The YOUth LEADership Conference:
• Helps to reduce the dropout rate in local schools and surrounding areas by keeping students inspired and on track, persuaded to focus on education.
• Instills leadership skills in students.
• Helps students succeed in school.
• Helps students successfully move on to a career and/or higher education.
• Engages business people/community leaders with helping others to succeed.
• Allows businesses to interact with students.
• Increases the power of the workforce.