Dream Big STEM Expo
Dream Big STEM Expo has been a major–and very successful–part of our program in the past. However, this year it is not being held because of the recent destruction from Hurricane Harvey and other issues regarding scheduling that have been disrupted by Harvey. We thank you for your patience as we work to find a place for Dream Big in our lineup for the future.
The Dream Big STEM Expo is NOT a traditional career fair.
The Dream Big STEM Expo is by no means a traditional career fair where students quickly go from booth to booth. Instead, the event increases the number of youth who demonstrate and understand career opportunities, set goals, and establish effective paths to complete those goals. The Dream Big STEM Expo provides adult role models and experts in various fields who share success stories and present various career opportunities, including the course of action to fulfill an educational goal. Note: Course sequence bookmarks will be provided to students to assist them in understanding how high school courses prepare them for the career they choose.
Dream Big STEM Expo Details
- Where: To Be Announced
- When: To Be Announced
- Time: To Be Announced
- Presentations: To Be Announced
- Participants: All VISD 8th Graders (Approximately 1,100)
- Groups: Students will remain with a teacher throughout the event.
Dream Big STEM Expo Highlights
- Industry Show & Tell: Presenters will bring visual aids, such as a welding machine, so students can visualize career details.
- Pre-Survey and Post-Survey: Students will complete surveys in order to determine an increase in knowledge attainment regarding career and industry opportunities.
- Course Outline Bookmarks: Students will be provided a course outline of a high school course as well as higher education courses that align with the career path demonstrated.
- Victoria Campus Visit: Students will be attending the expo at the Victoria College Allied Health Building and have an opportunity to tour part of the campus.
Fields Represented at the STEM Expo
The following industry fields will be represented through visual/interactive breakout sessions where presenters engage the students in small groups about work schedule, educational needs, salaries, benefits, etc: Process Technology, Instrumentation & Electrical, Welding, Medical, Information Technology and Logistics & Manufacturing, just to name a few.